Google Play update all apps

Andy Burnelli

Nov 22, 2021, 4:06:07 PM11/22/21
How does Google Play know how to update your apps?
<https://i.postimg.cc/HsXKj7WK/updateallapps01.jpg>

Because I'm a kind, caring, and helpful person, I created that detailed
annotated screenshot for Carlos to prove that the Google Play App knows
about your apps even if you've _never_ even once used the Google Play App.

How?
--
To answer this question requires two things which most people here do not
seem to have. You need to have intelligence & knowledge. If you have

Carlos E.R.

Nov 22, 2021, 6:12:06 PM11/22/21
On 22/11/2021 22.06, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> How does Google Play know how to update your apps?
> <https://i.postimg.cc/HsXKj7WK/updateallapps01.jpg>
>
> Because I'm a kind, caring, and helpful person, I created that detailed
> annotated screenshot for Carlos to prove that the Google Play App knows
> about your apps even if you've _never_ even once used the Google Play App.
>
> How?

This is what I get. I can only "stop" or "report", which is greyed out.
Nothing else in the screen responds to taps.

https://susepaste.org/48327850

Nothing similar two what you post. Unless you are using some special
took that you do not say.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

KenW

Nov 22, 2021, 6:59:15 PM11/22/21
Google knows everything about you. You know Chrome spies why not their
apps ?

KenW

Andy Burns

Nov 23, 2021, 2:31:45 AM11/23/21

Andy Burnelli wrote:

> I created that detailed annotated screenshot for Carlos to prove that the
> Google Play App knows about your apps even if you've_never_ even once used
> the Google Play App.

The play app (like any app prior to android 11) can simply enumerate the list of
installed apps from android, something like

final PackageManager pm = getPackageManager();
List<ApplicationInfo> ai =
pm.getInstalledApplications(PackageManager.GET_META_DATA);
for (ApplicationInfo pi : ai)
{
Log.d(TAG, pi.packageName);
}

Piet

Nov 23, 2021, 4:22:21 AM11/23/21
Andy Burns wrote:
> Andy Burnelli wrote:
>> I created that detailed annotated screenshot for Carlos to prove that the
>> Google Play App knows about your apps even if you've_never_ even once used
>> the Google Play App.
>
> The play app (like any app prior to android 11) can simply enumerate the
> list of installed apps from android

And you don't even have to use it: at least once in the lifetime of
a phone it has to be booted, and usually more often, and after boot
GP is started.

-p

Andy Burnelli

Nov 23, 2021, 10:52:30 AM11/23/21
On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 00:08:25 +0100, Carlos E.R. wrote:

> This is what I get. I can only "stop" or "report", which is greyed out.
> Nothing else in the screen responds to taps.
>
> https://susepaste.org/48327850
>
> Nothing similar two what you post. Unless you are using some special
> took that you do not say.

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for posting that screenshot as there is often more detail in
screenshots (which is why I often supply them myself, to be helpful).
<https://i.postimg.cc/3xxyCJYB/updateallapps04.jpg>

One important factor is the unique name of the "Play Store" app, which, for
you, appears to be the same as it is for me (com.android.vending).
<https://i.postimg.cc/02xKj04h/updateallapps03.jpg>

Mine is stock for my phone (Samsung Galaxy A325G) currently at app version
27.9.15-21 (which I don't think matters as I keep mine at the stock version
because I don't update anything unless I use it and know the update is
useful). <https://i.postimg.cc/4djB69pr/updateallapps02.jpg>

The fantastic FOSS app I used that tells me pages and pages and pages about
any given app is App Manager (which is by far the best app manager extent).
<https://github.com/MuntashirAkon/AppManager>

My Google Play (it's called "Play Store" in the icon) isn't any different
than any other stock Google Play Store App (afaik) so it should work the
same for you (unless your tablet is vastly different than stock Android).
<https://i.postimg.cc/HsXKj7WK/updateallapps01.jpg>

About the only thing I do differently is you'll notice for privacy reasons
I've denied that Google Play App any permission for location (why would it
need my location?) but otherwise, ever since yesterday I have had it not
disabled so I can test it for you.

What happens for me when I click on the Google Play homescreen icon is that
first screen comes up, which then allows me to press the update button
(without having any login to Google whatsoever) as long as I'm on a network.

I'm sure almost everyone sees the same GUI as I do, so we can ask them too.
Anyone who is a good person will step in to test it for you like I did.

Andy Burnelli

Nov 23, 2021, 11:31:03 AM11/23/21
On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 07:31:41 +0000, in comp.mobile.android you wrote:

> The play app (like any app prior to android 11) can simply enumerate the list of
> installed apps from android

By pure logic it can't be exactly that... but it must contain a component of
that enumeration.

So Andy is almost certainly at least partly correct that the "Play Store"
app (aka Google Play, aka com.android.vending) likely simply enumerates (a
subsection of) installed apps, based on what I see on my phone today (14
apps only).
<https://i.postimg.cc/3xxyCJYB/updateallapps04.jpg>

Bear in mind I normally have Google Play disabled, so I never log into
Google Play (and, in fact, I don't have a Google Account set up on the phone
and never have had it set up on this phone).

But Google Play only knows about "some" apps - not all my apps.
Just some.

What's interesting is that I have many hundreds of installed apps, but
Google Play only seems to see (currently) 14 of the ones I've installed.

Bear in mind, _none_ of my apps were from Google Play as I used the FOSS
Aurora Store to obtain all my apps (or they were copied from archives).

Those archives _may_ have come from Google Play, but it's not likely they
did as I haven't used Google Play in many years, and in fact, I normally
keep it disabled (for privacy) so that it stands no chance of popping up.

Logic implies Google Play is enumerating only _some_ apps (of course, it
could be that only 14 apps on my phone need updating - but I don't know if
that's likely either as I never update apps unless I find something in the
new version I want - which almost never happens in practice).

These are the 14 (actually 15) apps Google Play wanted to update...
1. Google Maps
2. Google Duo
3. Google
4. Android Auto
5. Speech Services by Google
6. Android System WebView
7. YouTube
8. Google Play Services for AR
9. Your Phone Companion
10. Microsoft OneDrive
11. Samsung My Files
12. Samsung Internet Browser
13. Samsung Push Service
14. T-Mobile
15. Google Play Services (accidentally updated 2 days ago)

I suspect these were all stock apps on the phone when I got it.
That means that Andy is correct in the main that Google Play likely
enumerates (some portion of) the apps on the phone.

For most people who use Google Play, that restriction wouldn't be a
hindrance if they wanted to press the "update all" button inside of Google
Play as it would update (most likely) most of their apps.
<https://i.postimg.cc/HsXKj7WK/updateallapps01.jpg>
Message has been deleted

Andy Burnelli

Nov 23, 2021, 11:53:41 AM11/23/21
On Mon, 22 Nov 2021 16:59:13 -0700, KenW wrote:

> Google knows everything about you.

Not really.
Especially if you don't have a Google account on your phone.
And in terms of Google Play, if you never log into it (mine is disabled).

The Google Play app enumeration only catches these 14 apps on my phone.
1. Google Maps
2. Google Duo
3. Google
4. Android Auto
5. Speech Services by Google
6. Android System WebView
7. YouTube
8. Google Play Services for AR
9. Your Phone Companion
10. Microsoft OneDrive
11. Samsung My Files
12. Samsung Internet Browser
13. Samsung Push Service
14. T-Mobile
15. Google Play Services (accidentally updated 2 days ago)

My initial suspicion is these are all stock apps since I don't use _any_ of
them directly. And certainly I have _hundreds_ of apps which mostly came
from the Google repo, and certainly I don't habitually update them.

Logic tells me Google Play only updates a subset of apps on my phone.
However, on most phones, that subset is likely to be more substantial.

> You know Chrome spies why not their apps ?

I'm a logical person so I agree with you on Google spying.
But that's why I use the best FOSS replacements for all Google apps.

The FOSS app I use most for my Chrome replacement is Ungoogled Chromium.
Do you have any evidence that it spys on us?
<https://github.com/ungoogled-software/ungoogled-chromium-android>

The FOSS app I use most for my Google Play replacement is Aurora.
Do you have any evidence that it spys on us?
<https://auroraoss.com/>

Andy Burns

Nov 23, 2021, 1:31:34 PM11/23/21
Andy Burnelli wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 07:31:41 +0000, in comp.mobile.android you wrote:
>
>> The play app (like any app prior to android 11) can simply enumerate the list of
>> installed apps from android
>
> By pure logic it can't be exactly that... but it must contain a component of
> that enumeration.

the list doesn't come from Google Play, it comes directly from android, you can
probably see them with ADB too, like

adb pm list packages -f

> So Andy is almost certainly at least partly correct that the "Play Store"
> app (aka Google Play, aka com.android.vending) likely simply enumerates (a
> subsection of) installed apps, based on what I see on my phone today (14
> apps only).
> <https://i.postimg.cc/3xxyCJYB/updateallapps04.jpg>

if you're on android11 or newer, the list is filtered "for privacy reasons" but
all an app has to do is target older versions of android and it will bypass the
filter.

Andy Burns

Nov 23, 2021, 1:33:05 PM11/23/21
Andy Burns wrote:

> adb pm list packages -f

make that

adb shell pm list packages -f

Andy Burnelli

Nov 23, 2021, 3:06:23 PM11/23/21
On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 18:33:04 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

> adb shell pm list packages -f

Logic implies likely Google Play is updating only "certain" apps.
<https://i.postimg.cc/3xxyCJYB/updateallapps04.jpg>

I'm not sure what Google Play uses as app criteria yet though given it's 14
apps I never installed myself that Google Play wants to update on my phone.

Maybe only 14 packages needed updates, but I would doubt that given the huge
number of packages that command outputs, and knowing I never update anything
(unless I know the new version is better - which is often not the case).

1. Connect phone to Windows computer with adb already installed & test
2. Run the command on Windows "adb shell pm list packages -f"
3. The result is 676 packages on my Android phone.

Occam says it's unlikely only 14 of those have available updates, but I
could be wrong. I suspect though that the com.android.vending Google Play
app only searches specific types of apps to update.

But which ones?
I don't know.

Here are the results though of that command just now.
c:\> adb shell pm list packages -f > foo.txt

package:com.google.android.networkstack.tethering
package:com.samsung.android.provider.filterprovider
package:com.textmeinc.textme3
package:com.ironsrc.aura.appmanager.tmo
package:com.sec.android.app.DataCreate
package:de.tutao.tutanota
package:com.mta.countdown
package:com.android.cts.priv.ctsshim
package:com.samsung.android.smartswitchassistant
package:com.sec.vsim.ericssonnsds.webapp
package:com.sec.android.app.setupwizardlegalprovider
package:com.google.android.youtube
package:com.samsung.android.app.galaxyfinder
package:com.vzw.apnlib
package:com.sec.location.nsflp2
package:com.aurora.adroid
package:com.simplemobiletools.flashlight
package:com.samsung.android.themestore
package:com.sec.android.app.chromecustomizations
package:com.samsung.android.app.cocktailbarservice
package:com.android.internal.display.cutout.emulation.corner
package:com.google.android.ext.services
package:com.escapistgames.starchart
package:com.simplemobiletools.calculator
package:com.nagopy.android.fileshortcut
package:com.android.internal.display.cutout.emulation.double
package:com.sec.location.nfwlocationprivacy
package:com.microsoft.appmanager
package:com.android.providers.telephony
package:com.sec.android.app.ve.vebgm
package:com.sec.android.app.parser
package:com.android.dynsystem
package:droidmate.appopsinstaller
package:com.sybu.imageresizer
package:com.samsung.internal.systemui.navbar.gestural_no_hint_wide_back
package:de.topobyte.apps.bms.atlas
package:com.samsung.android.networkstack
package:com.android.theme.icon.pebble
package:com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox
package:com.samsung.android.calendar
package:com.google.android.cellbroadcastservice
package:com.android.providers.calendar
package:com.osp.app.signin
package:com.samsung.android.aremoji
package:com.samsung.clipboardsaveservice
package:com.sec.automation
package:com.sybu.simplegallery
package:com.android.providers.media
package:com.arlosoft.macrodroid
package:jp.susatthi.ManifestViewer
package:cz.seeq.prog.android.packageviewer
package:com.geekyouup.android.ustopwatch
package:com.google.android.onetimeinitializer
package:com.google.android.ext.shared
package:com.android.internal.systemui.navbar.gestural_wide_back
package:com.ifttt.ifttt
package:com.android.wallpapercropper
package:com.teslacoilsw.launcher
package:com.manageengine.wifimonitor
package:com.android.theme.icon.vessel
package:com.samsung.android.wallpaper.res
package:com.sprint.w.installer
package:com.android.theme.color.cinnamon
package:com.p1.chompsms
package:se.brokenbrain.drawer
package:com.samsung.android.smartmirroring
package:com.skms.android.agent
package:com.ses.app.apkexport
package:com.mysosfamily
package:com.samsung.android.mapsagent
package:com.moblynx.galleryicsold
package:com.mediatek.systemuiresoverlay
package:com.sec.android.app.safetyassurance
package:com.google.android.apps.cameralite
package:com.samsung.android.incallui
package:com.samsung.android.knox.containercore
package:com.android.theme.icon_pack.rounded.systemui
package:com.samsung.android.kidsinstaller
package:com.sec.factory.camera
package:com.android.theme.icon.taperedrect
package:adfree.gallery
package:com.sec.usbsettings
package:keepass2android.keepass2android
package:eu.duong.imagedatefixer
package:com.samsung.android.easysetup
package:org.jessies.dalvikexplorer
package:gg.TENZ.mangakakalot
package:com.epic.browser
package:com.android.externalstorage
package:com.samsung.android.aware.service
package:com.sec.android.easyonehand
package:com.sec.factory
package:com.android.htmlviewer
package:com.whatsapp
package:com.android.companiondevicemanager
package:de.szalkowski.activitylauncher
package:com.android.mms.service
package:com.samsung.android.rubin.app
package:com.flightradar24free
package:it.sourcenetitalia.appmanager
package:com.utopi.batterychargenotifier
package:com.android.providers.downloads
package:com.appstar.callrecorder
package:org.secuso.privacyfriendlyfoodtracker
package:com.diotek.sec.lookup.dictionary
package:com.snape.shivichu.videocompressor
package:com.sec.android.easyMover.Agent
package:com.google.android.networkstack.tethering.overlay
package:com.samsung.android.mdx.quickboard
package:com.squiredev.exif_clear
package:com.android.theme.icon_pack.rounded.android
package:com.onto.notepad
package:com.wsomacp
package:com.hudun.androidrecorder
package:com.lonelycatgames.Xplore
package:com.cunnj.activitylauncher
package:com.samsung.faceservice
package:com.larryvgs.battery
package:ch.protonmail.android
package:com.sec.android.app.voicenote
package:com.cemique.shortcutwidgets
package:com.monotype.android.font.foundation
package:com.sec.android.widgetapp.easymodecontactswidget
package:com.joykraft.frenchpresstimer
package:com.bostbi.dev.countdown
package:de.k3b.android.androFotoFinder
package:com.samsung.android.knox.pushmanager
package:com.samsung.android.MtpApplication
package:com.sec.android.app.factorykeystring
package:com.sec.android.app.samsungapps
package:com.tmobile.pr.mytmobile
package:com.sec.android.emergencymode.service
package:com.android.theme.icon_pack.circular.themepicker
package:org.schabi.newpipe
package:org.korosoft.simplenotepad.android
package:com.google.android.configupdater
package:com.sec.android.app.wlantest
package:com.samsung.android.accessibility.talkback
package:com.google.android.providers.media.module
package:com.sec.android.smartfpsadjuster
package:com.google.android.overlay.modules.permissioncontroller
package:com.samsung.android.app.settings.bixby
package:com.simplemobiletools.calendar.pro
package:com.sec.android.app.billing
package:com.sec.epdgtestapp
package:com.slydroid.watch
package:com.samsung.android.game.gamehome
package:com.callrecorder.android
package:com.sec.android.daemonapp
package:com.google.ar.core
package:org.zwanoo.android.speedtest
package:com.sec.sve
package:com.sec.enterprise.knox.attestation
package:com.fiberlink.maas360.android.pim
package:com.android.providers.downloads.ui
package:com.android.vending
package:com.android.pacprocessor
package:com.android.simappdialog
package:com.samsung.android.knox.attestation
package:com.samsung.android.secsoundpicker
package:com.samsung.internal.systemui.navbar.sec_gestural
package:com.sec.omadmspr
package:com.miyaware.batteryclock
package:com.microsoft.skydrive
package:com.samsung.android.SettingsReceiver
package:com.vonglasow.michael.satstat
package:com.csdroid.pkg
package:com.android.internal.display.cutout.emulation.hole
package:com.android.internal.display.cutout.emulation.tall
package:org.Gallery.App
package:org.Gallery.Pro
package:com.sec.android.app.soundalive
package:gov.caltrans.quickmap
package:net.openvpn.openvpn
package:com.samsung.android.privateshare
package:com.sec.android.provider.badge
package:com.android.certinstaller
package:com.samsung.android.securitylogagent
package:com.android.theme.color.black
package:com.android.carrierconfig
package:com.android.theme.color.green
package:com.android.theme.color.ocean
package:com.samsung.android.knox.containeragent
package:com.android.theme.color.space
package:com.coverter.videoconverter.videocutter.videotrim
package:com.android.internal.systemui.navbar.threebutton
package:com.brave.browser
package:com.sovworks.edslite
package:com.samsung.SMT
package:com.samsung.cmh
package:com.samsung.ssu
package:android
package:com.mycp.videocompress
package:com.samsung.knox.keychain
package:eu.faircode.netguard
package:com.google.android.overlay.modules.cellbroadcastreceiver
package:com.dp.logcatapp
package:privacyfriendlyshoppinglist.secuso.org.privacyfriendlyshoppinglist
package:com.android.theme.icon_pack.rounded.launcher
package:com.flistholding.flightplus
package:com.samsung.android.providers.carrier
package:com.samsung.internal.systemui.navbar.sec_gestural_no_hint
package:me.piebridge.brevent
package:net.nitroshare.android
package:com.samsung.android.aircommandmanager
package:com.samsung.android.net.wifi.wifiguider
package:com.samsung.android.wifi.softapwpathree.resources
package:ru.andr7e.deviceinfohw
package:com.samsung.android.service.stplatform
package:com.samsung.android.smartface
package:com.android.egg
package:com.android.mtp
package:com.android.nfc
package:com.android.ons
package:com.android.stk
package:org.torproject.torservices
package:com.samsung.android.messaging
package:org.contentarcadeapps.videoeditor
package:com.secuso.privacyFriendlyCodeScanner
package:com.android.backupconfirm
package:com.samsung.klmsagent
package:com.waze
package:org.ebookdroid
package:io.github.ilisevic.SOSbasic
package:com.applaudsoft.wabi.wad
package:com.sec.android.app.SecSetupWizard
package:com.vrem.wifianalyzer
package:com.catalinagroup.callrecorder
package:com.ospolice.phoneshortcut
package:kik.android
package:com.samsung.android.app.telephonyui
package:com.samsung.android.wifi.softap.resources
package:com.android.statementservice
package:com.alextern.shortcuthelper
package:com.google.android.as
package:com.google.android.gm
package:com.talkatone.android
package:com.google.android.apps.tachyon
package:org.androidsoft.app.permission
package:com.google.android.overlay.gmsconfig.common
package:com.sec.android.app.hwmoduletest
package:com.sprint.ms.cdm
package:com.android.settings.intelligence
package:com.aurora.store
package:com.sec.bcservice
package:bg.projectoria.appinspector
package:com.monotype.android.font.samsungone
package:com.debug.loggerui
package:com.android.internal.systemui.navbar.gestural_extra_wide_back
package:com.microsoft.office.outlook
package:jp.nalab.tomcam
package:com.google.android.permissioncontroller
package:com.helgekeck.wifitool
package:com.sec.android.app.servicemodeapp
package:com.sec.android.preloadinstaller
package:com.roysolberg.android.developertools
package:com.google.android.setupwizard
package:com.samsung.android.tadownloader
package:at.cwiesner.android.visualtimer
package:com.sec.android.gallery3d
package:com.android.providers.settings
package:com.samsung.accessibility
package:com.sec.imsservice
package:net.ebt.appswitch
package:com.trianguloy.instantintent
package:com.simpler.contacts
package:com.android.sharedstoragebackup
package:com.curvegraph.deocut
package:com.facebook.services
package:com.samsung.android.mobileservice
package:com.android.printspooler
package:org.bitbatzen.wlanscanner
package:com.kylecorry.trail_sense
package:net.psyberia.offlinemaps
package:com.trailblazer.supercut
package:com.richardtozer.dashcam
package:com.samsung.android.mdx.kit
package:com.android.theme.icon_pack.filled.settings
package:com.samsung.storyservice
package:com.android.dreams.basic
package:com.deslomator.complextimer
package:com.xintimex.emiliano.worldmap
package:com.alienpants.leafpicrevived
package:com.google.android.overlay.modules.ext.services
package:com.samsung.internal.systemui.navbar.gestural_no_hint_extra_wide_back
package:org.mozilla.focus
package:dk.andsen.asqlitemanager
package:aws.apps.networkInfoIi
package:org.spectralsoft.textedit
package:pl.waskysoft.screenshotassistant
package:com.android.webview
package:com.android.se
package:com.android.inputdevices
package:pallob.loop.com.notepad
package:com.samsung.android.wifi.resources
package:com.google.android.overlay.gmsconfig.photos
package:com.samsung.android.kgclient
package:com.samsung.knox.securefolder
package:com.tmobile.pr.adapt
package:com.sec.providers.assisteddialing
package:com.android.bips
package:com.google.audio.hearing.visualization.accessibility.scribe
package:com.mediatek
package:com.samsung.android.game.gametools
package:krow.dev.scheme
package:com.samsung.android.app.simplesharing
package:com.samsung.android.app.contacts
package:com.samsung.android.cmfa.framework
package:com.samsung.android.service.peoplestripe
package:com.samsung.android.da.daagent
package:com.google.android.captiveportallogin
package:com.android.theme.icon_pack.circular.settings
package:com.alohamobile.browser.lite
package:com.keuwl.sandtimer
package:org.secuso.privacyfriendlyactivitytracker
package:com.samsung.android.app.reminder
package:fortune.audiocutter.audioeditor
package:org.secuso.privacyfriendlynotes
package:com.zq.webdav.app_free
package:rk.android.app.shortcutmaker
package:com.atr.tedit
package:de.mediaz.mxapp.hpbgeodefree
package:com.terarisu.limited_timer010
package:com.terarisu.limited_timer015
package:com.terarisu.limited_timer020
package:com.terarisu.limited_timer030
package:com.terarisu.limited_timer045
package:com.terarisu.limited_timer060
package:com.terarisu.limited_timer090
package:com.terarisu.limited_timer120
package:com.terarisu.limited_timer180
package:com.test.LTEfunctionality
package:com.samsung.android.smartcallprovider
package:com.samsung.android.app.smartcapture
package:net.sourceforge.opencamera
package:com.zzzmode.appopsx
package:com.google.android.apps.maps
package:be.ppareit.swiftp_free
package:com.google.android.modulemetadata
package:la.daube.photochiotte
package:com.amperemeter.wally.src
package:com.leedroid.shortcutter
package:com.samsung.android.app.taskedge
package:com.samsung.android.dynamiclock
package:org.fdroid.fdroid
package:com.samsung.advp.imssettings
package:com.call.recorder.auto.call.record
package:com.devhomc.myapps
package:com.samsung.android.location
package:com.tmobile.vvm.application
package:com.sec.android.app.clockpackage
package:com.sec.android.RilServiceModeApp
package:com.google.android.webview
package:com.samsung.android.mdecservice
package:com.android.theme.icon.teardrop
package:com.opera.browser
package:org.dmfs.tasks
package:com.google.android.overlay.modules.documentsui
package:com.amazon.appmanager
package:com.sayhi.android.sayhitranslate
package:com.google.android.networkstack
package:com.tts.imnos_mobile
package:com.android.server.telecom
package:com.google.android.syncadapters.contacts
package:com.longervideos.app
package:com.sec.imslogger
package:com.android.theme.icon_pack.rounded.themepicker
package:com.trianguloy.openInWhatsapp
package:com.android.keychain
package:de.dennisguse.opentracks
package:com.samsung.android.ardrawing
package:com.android.chrome
package:com.apowersoft.beecut
package:co.easy4u.writer
package:eu.basicairdata.graziano.gpslogger
package:com.samsung.android.opencalendar
package:com.projectsexception.myapplist
package:com.simplemobiletools.smsmessenger
package:com.samsung.android.themecenter
package:com.balda.intenttask
package:com.android.theme.icon_pack.filled.systemui
package:com.samsung.android.server.wifi.mobilewips
package:com.google.android.packageinstaller
package:com.sigalert.mobile
package:com.google.android.gms
package:com.google.android.gsf
package:com.google.android.tts
package:android.autoinstalls.config.samsung
package:com.sprint.ce.updater
package:com.android.wifi.resources
package:com.samsung.android.container
package:com.google.android.apps.walletnfcrel
package:com.android.calllogbackup
package:org.secuso.privacyfriendlywifimanager
package:com.google.android.partnersetup
package:org.torproject.torbrowser
package:ru.andr7e.wifimonitor
package:com.hg.SpeechTimer
package:com.ironsrc.aura.tmo
package:org.mightyfrog.android.simplenotepad
package:mobi.infolife.appbackup
package:com.keuwl.gpswaypoints
package:com.saawanapps.photocompress
package:com.sec.android.diagmonagent
package:com.android.localtransport
package:com.google.android.videos
package:com.google.android.overlay.gmsconfig.gsa
package:com.samsung.android.biometrics.app.setting
package:xyz.klinker.messenger
package:com.sec.spp.push
package:com.android.carrierdefaultapp
package:com.etwok.netspotapp
package:us.koller.cameraroll
package:com.github.axet.callrecorder
package:com.samsung.android.aremojieditor
package:com.samsung.android.icecone
package:com.android.theme.font.notoserifsource
package:com.sec.android.app.myfiles
package:com.android.theme.icon_pack.filled.android
package:io.github.videosplitterapp
package:com.android.proxyhandler
package:com.donnnno.arcticons
package:com.simplemobiletools.contacts.pro
package:com.android.internal.display.cutout.emulation.waterfall
package:com.samsung.android.allshare.service.fileshare
package:com.android.theme.icon_pack.circular.systemui
package:org.videolan.vlc
package:io.github.muntashirakon.AppManager
package:net.mediaarea.mediainfo
package:com.sec.android.mimage.photoretouching
package:com.sec.android.app.launcher
package:com.google.android.overlay.modules.permissioncontroller.forframework
package:com.google.android.feedback
package:com.google.android.printservice.recommendation
package:com.samsung.adaptivebrightnessgo
package:com.google.android.apps.photos
package:com.llamalab.automate
package:com.samsung.sec.android.teegris.tui_service
package:com.google.android.syncadapters.calendar
package:com.android.managedprovisioning
package:com.jarsilio.android.scrambledeggsif
package:com.airbeat.device.inspector
package:com.sika524.android.quickshortcut
package:com.samsung.android.setting.multisound
package:com.google.android.apps.googlevoice
package:com.samsung.android.arzone
package:com.validconcept.Timer4TM
package:com.samsung.android.authfw
package:com.sec.android.app.sbrowser
package:com.aminbeheshti.exifviewer
package:com.google.android.documentsui
package:com.microsoft.office.officehubrow
package:com.simplemobiletools.musicplayer
package:com.android.dreams.phototable
package:superfreeze.tool.android
package:com.fsck.k9
package:com.intermedia.hd.camera.professional
package:com.google.mainline.telemetry
package:net.sourceforge.fastphototagger
package:com.samsung.safetyinformation
package:com.samsung.android.dialer
package:com.sec.sprextension
package:com.samsung.android.dqagent
package:com.sec.android.app.ringtoneBR
package:com.simplemobiletools.gallery.pro
package:com.samsung.android.game.gos
package:com.larryvgs.battery2020
package:com.samsung.android.forest
package:com.adfree.Gallery
package:com.nutomic.syncthingandroid
package:com.android.providers.partnerbookmarks
package:com.samsung.internal.systemui.navbar.gestural_no_hint_narrow_back
package:com.samsung.android.hdmapp
package:com.fittech.videomusiceditor
package:com.minditsystems.PlaneWatch
package:com.android.wallpaper.livepicker
package:com.samsung.android.beaconmanager
package:org.aospstudio.appsmanage
package:com.samsung.internal.systemui.navbar.gestural_no_hint
package:org.aospstudio.files
package:com.sec.enterprise.mdm.services.simpin
package:com.android.apps.tag
package:com.deltacdev.websiteshortcut
package:com.samsung.android.stickercenter
package:de.onyxbits.listmyapps
package:com.facebook.system
package:at.jclehner.appopsxposed
package:nu.firetech.android.wifiwarning
package:com.samsung.android.providers.media
package:com.sec.android.app.popupcalculator
package:com.sec.android.soagent
package:com.sec.android.autodoodle.service
package:com.sec.android.app.quicktool
package:com.samsung.android.fmm
package:com.samsung.android.mdm
package:com.samsung.android.mdx
package:com.samsung.android.scs
package:com.sec.unifiedwfc
package:com.ubqsoft.sec01
package:com.android.theme.icon.squircle
package:com.sec.phone
package:com.generalmagic.magicearth
package:com.samsung.android.appseparation
package:com.adobe.reader
package:de.kroegerama.android4batpercent
package:com.samsung.android.honeyboard
package:com.samsung.android.samsungpass
package:com.google.android.networkstack.permissionconfig
package:com.android.storagemanager
package:com.samsung.android.scloud
package:com.samsung.android.app.soundpicker
package:com.samsung.android.app.sharelive
package:com.sec.app.RilErrorNotifier
package:com.samsung.android.spayfw
package:com.android.bookmarkprovider
package:com.linkedin.android
package:com.android.settings
package:com.samsung.app.newtrim
package:com.healthappy.smsalert
package:com.samsung.android.dsms
package:com.samsung.android.fast
package:com.samsung.android.lool
package:crc.carsapp.sacog
package:make.more.r2d2.cellular_z
package:com.samsung.android.app.notes
package:com.sec.android.app.bluetoothtest
package:com.sec.android.sdhms
package:com.samsung.android.app.spage
package:com.sec.android.mimage.avatarstickers
package:com.android.theme.icon_pack.filled.launcher
package:at.bleeding182.flashlight
package:com.samsung.android.knox.analytics.uploader
package:info.guardianproject.orfox
package:com.samsung.android.sm.policy
package:com.sec.android.emergencylauncher
package:com.samsung.android.localeoverlaymanager
package:com.termux
package:com.mediatek.apmonitor
package:com.samsung.android.motionphoto.viewer
package:com.google.android.projection.gearhead
package:com.sec.hearingadjust
package:com.google.android.apps.turbo
package:com.samsung.android.bluelightfilter
package:org.witness.sscphase1
package:org.primftpd
package:com.samsung.android.bbc.bbcagent
package:com.deependhulla.opemail
package:com.samsung.android.callbgprovider
package:com.knox.vpn.proxyhandler
package:com.android.cts.ctsshim
package:com.lexa.fakegps
package:com.samsung.android.livestickers
package:com.samsung.android.app.watchmanagerstub
package:com.samsung.android.svcagent
package:protect.videoeditor
package:com.google.android.overlay.modules.modulemetadata.forframework
package:com.sec.mhs.smarttethering
package:maderski.chargingindicator
package:com.videocompressoractivity
package:com.simplemobiletools.voicerecorder
package:by4a.setedit22
package:com.mmdevs.callrecorder
package:com.samsung.android.mateagent
package:com.android.theme.icon_pack.circular.launcher
package:com.samsung.android.networkdiagnostic
package:sk.styk.martin.apkanalyzer
package:com.samsung.android.shortcutbackupservice
package:com.tmobile.echolocate
package:gbis.gbandroid
package:com.samsung.android.mcfserver
package:com.android.vpndialogs
package:com.noctuasoftware.stellarium_free
package:com.samsung.InputEventApp
package:com.samsung.android.networkstack.tethering.overlay
package:com.github.cvzi.screenshottile
package:com.samsung.android.providers.contacts
package:com.andrd.wadirectmessage
package:com.android.phone
package:com.deependhulla.opensync
package:com.android.shell
package:com.google.android.apps.recorder
package:com.android.theme.icon_pack.filled.themepicker
package:com.android.wallpaperbackup
package:com.android.providers.blockednumber
package:com.samsung.android.app.omcagent
package:com.duckduckgo.mobile.android
package:com.hiya.star
package:com.google.android.overlay.modules.cellbroadcastservice
package:com.android.providers.userdictionary
package:com.sec.enterprise.knox.cloudmdm.smdms
package:info.maigo.lab.intentviewer
package:com.google.android.apps.carrier.carrierwifi
package:com.android.emergency
package:net.osmand.plus
package:com.wssyncmldm
package:org.ungoogled.chromium.stable
package:com.sprint.ms.smf.services
package:com.android.hotspot2.osulogin
package:com.panagola.app.shortcut
package:com.simplemobiletools.draw.pro
package:com.samsung.ims.smk
package:com.google.android.gms.location.history
package:com.android.internal.systemui.navbar.gestural
package:com.movavi.mobile.movaviclips
package:com.android.location.fused
package:com.android.theme.color.orchid
package:com.samsung.android.app.appsedge
package:net.muik.myappfinder
package:com.samsung.android.samsungpassautofill
package:com.sec.epdg
package:com.android.systemui
package:com.sec.android.app.personalization
package:com.tmobile.services.nameid
package:com.alextern.shortcutexecutors
package:com.android.theme.color.purple
package:com.mapfactor.navigator
package:com.sec.factory.cameralyzer
package:com.android.bluetoothmidiservice
package:com.samsung.android.sdk.handwriting
package:com.facebook.appmanager
package:com.digipom.easymediaconverter
package:org.secuso.privacyfriendlysketching
package:com.villevalta.intentlauncher
package:com.samsung.android.app.clockpack
package:com.joaomgcd.autoinput
package:com.samsung.aasaservice
package:com.sec.android.app.setupwizard
package:com.adamsappls.carc
package:eu.faircode.email
package:com.samsung.android.smartsuggestions
package:com.perracolabs.cpd
package:com.android.traceur
package:com.google.android.cellbroadcastreceiver
package:com.samsung.android.allshare.service.mediashare
package:com.call.recording.callrecord
package:com.sec.android.provider.emergencymode
package:com.simplemobiletools.camera
package:android.auto_generated_rro_product__
package:com.samsung.android.cidmanager
package:flar2.devcheck
package:com.sec.android.app.camera
package:org.secuso.privacyfriendlyweather
package:com.simplemobiletools.dialer
package:com.snap.camerakit.plugin.v1
package:com.spencerstudios.applist
package:com.android.bluetooth
package:com.samsung.android.app.clipboardedge
package:com.frankygoes.myapks
package:com.quick.shortcut.maker
package:com.video.compressor.size.reducer
package:spinninghead.talkingstopwatchlite
package:com.samsung.ipservice
package:com.sec.android.app.magnifier
package:com.samsung.sec.android.application.csc
package:com.marga.ApkDownloader
package:com.none.tom.exiferaser
package:com.samsung.android.sdm.config
package:com.android.theme.icon.roundedrect
package:com.sec.hiddenmenu
package:com.samsung.android.app.dressroom
package:com.simplemobiletools.filemanager.pro
package:com.google.android.GoogleCamera
package:com.android.internal.systemui.navbar.gestural_narrow_back
package:com.impetus.compressvideo
package:com.darshancomputing.BatteryIndicator
package:com.samsung.android.app.dofviewer
package:com.android.theme.icon_pack.rounded.settings
package:com.samsung.android.tapack.authfw
package:com.vdodev.videosplitter
package:ishara.software.co.droidsplitter
package:com.samsung.android.mcfds
package:com.google.android.inputmethod.latin
package:com.samsung.android.video
package:android.auto_generated_rro_vendor__
package:com.android.theme.icon_pack.circular.android
package:com.google.android.apps.restore

Andy Burns

Nov 23, 2021, 3:53:43 PM11/23/21
Andy Burnelli wrote:

> Logic implies likely Google Play is updating only "certain" apps.
> <https://i.postimg.cc/3xxyCJYB/updateallapps04.jpg>

I'm not sure if GP only upgrades apps that were installed by GP, or if it will
upgrade apps e.g. sideloaded, or installed from other stores?

Andy Burnelli

Nov 23, 2021, 5:07:51 PM11/23/21
I think there's some "selective magic" going on with Google Play updates.

That's why I asked the question, which is "how" does GP know about "only"
those 15 apps when I have 676 "packages" (almost none of which do I update).

I can't yet find an adb search that just finds the unupdated packages...

Half a hundred Google packages
C:\> adb shell pm list packages google | find /c /v ""
59

Three hundred third-party packages
C:\> adb shell pm list packages -3 | find /c /v ""
298

Four hundred system packages
C:\> adb shell pm list packages -s | find /c /v ""
404

Seven hundred packages
C:\> adb shell pm list packages | find /c /v ""
702

Now an app and a "package" might not necessarily be the same thing, where we
should probably look at what are the "typical" things that are called apps
(such as the GP app itself, named com.android.vending) and not necessarily
the many associated packages (such as Google Play Services, named
com.android.google.gms), which might not be found in any normal repository.
--
Results of c:\> adb shell pm list packages google > foo.txt
[...]

Piet

Nov 24, 2021, 4:55:11 AM11/24/21
It doesn't only upgrade installed apps, it can - directly or through
an update of Google Play Services - install new system functionalities,
e.g. the functionality necessary for the covid notification app (at
least in Holland, don't know if that app was available/used in other
countries too). Apple did something similar via its app store, without
user intervention.

-p

Carlos E.R.

Nov 24, 2021, 7:20:07 AM11/24/21
Of course it is different, it was a tablet designed to work on "1Mobile
Market" instead of the Google Play Store, not requiring registration.
But the server it used is dead, and it was crap anyway when it was
alive. And it runs Adroid 4.4.2

> About the only thing I do differently is you'll notice for privacy reasons
> I've denied that Google Play App any permission for location (why would it
> need my location?) but otherwise, ever since yesterday I have had it not
> disabled so I can test it for you.
>
> What happens for me when I click on the Google Play homescreen icon is that
> first screen comes up, which then allows me to press the update button
> (without having any login to Google whatsoever) as long as I'm on a network.

First screen that comes up in my Google play is enter existing account
or create new one.

https://susepaste.org/304194

As you can see, no alternative on that screen.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

AJL

Nov 24, 2021, 10:48:36 AM11/24/21
Andy Burns wrote:

> I'm not sure if GP only upgrades apps that were installed by GP, or
> if it will upgrade apps e.g. sideloaded, or installed from other
> stores?

I have Amazon Fire tablets that use the Fire OS which is a fork of an
older Android version. They come with the Amazon Appstore installed and
I have additionally sideloaded the Google Play Store. I had to turn off
the Play Store automatic updates because it was updating apps installed
from the Amazon store. I generally use the older version Android apps
from the Amazon store when available because they better match the older
Android version on the tablets. But unfortunately the Amazon store
doesn't have near the selection the Play Store has which is why I also
use it.

Probably more than you wanted to know but to answer your question: On my
stuff the Play Store can update apps whether sideloaded or installed from
another store...

Carlos E.R.

Nov 24, 2021, 4:00:07 PM11/24/21
On 24/11/2021 13.19, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 23/11/2021 16.52, Andy Burnelli wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 00:08:25 +0100, Carlos E.R. wrote:

> First screen that comes up in my Google play is enter existing account
> or create new one.
>
> https://susepaste.org/304194
>
> As you can see, no alternative on that screen.

Anyway, I bit the bullet and created a new google "burnable" account on
this thing.

The play store app now can not get the list of applications or new apps
to install - I left it trying for four hours. It produced no error, but
it simply does not work. And no updates whatsoever.

Also, in main setup, accounts, the google account shows in red, saying
that there is a problem syncing which will be solved soon. Yeah, sure.

There is a notification that says that login to the account failed,
wrong password or changed account (translating the message). That I can
try again. I try again, give the correct password, now says I have to
login on the web. Now it demands a phone number to send and SMS for
verification. Ok, I bite again.

I try twice, I type the code I get on the SMS, but Google refuses it,
says it is wrong. If I press the "verify" button, the 3 last digits are
deleted. If instead I press "go" on the virtual keyboard, it also fails.
I will have to try on the computer.

Not even on the computer.... The SMS has a code like "G-123456". The
computer stops accepting numbers on the 5. It appears I have to remove
the "G-", but it never said so. I got in, on the computer.

It also demands to know my birth date, because that is the law, it claims.

I try again on the tablet. I get one step further, browser asks to
accept a new permission (unreadable), I say ok, and then it claims that
authentication failed.

This old tablet is simply too old for anything.

Ah, but now sync is working!

I can now update "Google Play Services" (there is a notification to do
so first). After that, I try the play store, but it claims there are no
updates available, after checking.

I try to install a weather/clock app I know, it now says I have to
review my account. Wants a credit/debit card, but allows omitting. I
install the app. [...] The widget fails to find the location. If I type
the city it finds and accepts it, but the widget does not work. I'll try
another app. [...] "Gran reloj digital" from "Riccardo Camattari", just
the thing I wanted. No weather. Can't get everything :-)

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Andy Burnelli

Nov 24, 2021, 8:43:55 PM11/24/21
On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 10:55:10 +0100, Piet wrote:

>> I'm not sure if GP only upgrades apps that were installed by GP,
>> or if it will upgrade apps e.g. sideloaded, or installed from
>> other stores?
>
> It doesn't only upgrade installed apps, it can - directly or through
> an update of Google Play Services - install new system functionalities,
> e.g. the functionality necessary for the covid notification app (at
> least in Holland, don't know if that app was available/used in other
> countries too). Apple did something similar via its app store, without
> user intervention.

While it's likely correct that the Google Play App (com.android.vending)
likely updates via the Google Play Services (com.google.android.gms),
I don't think any of us (yet) can elucidate what exactly the Google Play
Services updates, even as we know it updates the 25 core framework modules.
*Everything you need to know about Android's Project Mainline*
<https://www.xda-developers.com/android-project-mainline-modules-explanation/>

For example, this free ad-free gsf-free google-free checker found hundreds
of apps on my phone which had a newer version in the Google Play repository.
*Update Software Checker - OS Version Info*, by Inspire Zone (rated 0.0)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inspirezone.updatesoftwarechecker>

The question nobody yet knows the answer to is why isn't Google Play finding
_all_ the apps which clearly have updates on the Google Play repository?

Andy Burnelli

Nov 24, 2021, 8:43:56 PM11/24/21
On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 08:48:32 -0700, AJL wrote:

> Probably more than you wanted to know but to answer your question: On my
> stuff the Play Store can update apps whether sideloaded or installed from
> another store...

In my tests for Carlos, the Play Store only found 14 apps which (it thought)
needed to be updated, while this [free ad-free GSF-free google-free]
update program seems to have found hundreds
(which is more believable given I never update apps unless I need to).

*App Update Checker - Update Software*, by Pratham Tech (rated 5.0)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pratham.bkm.appupdatechecker>

The question to ponder is why Google Play finds far fewer apps to update
(when the third-party app update checkers seem to find hundreds more).

Andy Burnelli

Nov 24, 2021, 8:43:58 PM11/24/21
On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 13:19:12 +0100, Carlos E.R. wrote:

>> What happens for me when I click on the Google Play homescreen icon is that
>> first screen comes up, which then allows me to press the update button
>> (without having any login to Google whatsoever) as long as I'm on a network.
>
> First screen that comes up in my Google play is enter existing account
> or create new one.
>
> https://susepaste.org/304194
>
> As you can see, no alternative on that screen.

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for letting me know that my Android 11 version of the "Play Store"
app (com.android.vending) works differently than does your (apparently
older) version of the "Play Store" app (also called com.android.vending).

Yours: <https://susepaste.org/304194>
Mine: <https://i.postimg.cc/3xxyCJYB/updateallapps04.jpg>

> Of course it is different, it was a tablet designed to work on "1Mobile
> Market" instead of the Google Play Store, not requiring registration.

It has been my cursory experience that when a vendor changes the app, they
often also appear to change the unique name, e.g., to something like
com.android.vending.amazon or com.amazon.android.vending (or whatever).

Since yours is still called "com.android.vending" it may be, logically, that
it's the default app that came with your (older) version of Android.

> But the server it used is dead, and it was crap anyway when it was
> alive. And it runs Adroid 4.4.2

A picture is worth a thousand words, which clearly shows they're different.
Yours: <https://susepaste.org/304194>
Mine: <https://i.postimg.cc/02xKj04h/updateallapps03.jpg>

As you imply, it seems apparent that your com.android.vending package is too
old to have the selection choice that my com.android.vending has, in which
case, then you'd be completely correct that the option to "update apps"
might not exist inside your older version of the Google Play App (aka
com.android.vending).

I'm sorry I wasn't able to help you, I really am (as I strive to help you
solve all the issues - just as I solve all of mine the say way on Usenet).

I hope someone with a similar setup as yours can help you, as the only other
option I could suggest is along the lines of what Andy Burns was leading...
which is to use an external tool (such as adb) to update all the apps.

Running that search for you turns up a few hits that may be of use to you.
<https://duckduckgo.com/?q=android+adb+update+all+apps>

First hit:
*How To Update All Android Apps At Once*
<https://www.technobezz.com/update-all-android-apps-at-once/>
Unfortunately, that first hit just gives the same advice I had provided.
[Worse, that first hit doesn't explain the answer to the question in this
thread of _how_ the Google Play App determines the apps to be updated.]

Second hit:
*How To Disable Automatic App Updates On Android Devices*
<https://www.technobezz.com/disable-automatic-app-updates-android-devices/>
That's just the first hit, re-written using the opposite desire.

Third hit:
*How To Update All Apps On Your Android Devices*
<https://www.minitool.com/news/how-to-update-apps-android-device.html>
This appears to be a shill for "minitools"
<https://www.minitool.com/mobile-recovery/free-android-recovery.html>

Fourth hit:
*Update your Android apps*
<https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/113412?hl=en>
Interestingly, those instructions call for menu items that don't appear on
my Google Play (com.android.vending) app. I don't know if that's becasue
it's older than Android 11 or newer though. Someone else may have Android 12
who might be able to tell us if that's the case - but it wouldn't help you
on Android 4.x.

Fifth hit:
*Software Update - Update all Apps*
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.qsoft.softwareupdate>
It has ads so I'm not going to even test it but it's rated 4.5
(surprisingly), and it says the following in the description.
"This Software Update App will keep checking the updated version for all
your installed apps and will notify the app having updates on play store."

There were so many "software update checkers" on Google Play it's not funny.
<https://play.google.com/store/search?q=Software%20Update%20Checker&c=apps>

Running an Aurora search for free ad-free GSF-free google-free apps that
replace the "update all apps" functionality of Google Play comes up with
*App Update Checker - Update Software*, by Pratham Tech (rated 5.0)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pratham.bkm.appupdatechecker>

*Update Software Checker - OS Version Info*, by Inspire Zone (rated 0.0)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inspirezone.updatesoftwarechecker>

*Software Update Checker : App & Game Update 2021*, by Pnixo (rated 0.0)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pnixo.softwareupdater.appcheckert>

Putting my phone in airplane mode (just in case), I ran the Pratham Tech app
above which immediately asked for permission to make phone calls (WTF?) and
to access the file system and to "allow usage tracking" which I gave it just
to get it to work (it crashed otherwise).

What was interesting, as an aside, is this Pratham Tech app gives a nice
summary of when you installed and last modified any app on your system,
broken down into user-installed apps and system apps.

When I pressed the "Check Applications" button, that Pratham Tech app seems
to go, one by one, a couple apps per second, through ALL the hundreds of
apps I have installed (unlike what Google Play seems to do so it's slower
than Google Play was), but in the end, it didn't report _anything_ (perhaps
because I had the network off?) other than a single checkmark. Huh?

Living dangerously, I turned off Airplane Mode and the one-by-one app-by-app
check proceeded much slower (so it much be checking each app individually).

The result was a nice display that went on for many pages of each app that
needed to be updated, with the date, size, old version & new version listed.

Testing the Inspire Zone app next, it also gave a list of the install dates
and updated dates of all the hundreds of apps on my phone.

I hit the Inspire Zone "Start Scanning" button (with airplane mode on), and
it also went through, one by one, the hundreds of apps on my phone (although
it only found 320 apps out of more than double that number).

It too reported nothing until I enabled a connection to the net, and it too
proceeded much slower once connected to the Internet. It too listed hundreds
of apps which it thought needed an update, and it too had a manual "update
now" button for each app to update to the latest version found.

Testing the Pnixo app, it showed the current version for all apps, but it
didn't scan automatically like the other two above did. You had to press the
"View update" button for each app, and even then, it simply brought up the
app in Google Play (which, for me, failed as my Google Play is inoperable).

While the Pratham Tech & Inspire Zone software update checkers appear to
work, in neither app did I see an "update all" button like the one inside
the Google Play app (com.android.vending). The updates are manual in that
each app has its own update button in each of those software updater apps.

However, all three tested apps found hundreds of apps that had updates on
Google Play, whereas Google Play only found 14, so, clearly the subset that
Google Play is interrogating is vastly limited.

Andy Burns

Nov 24, 2021, 9:07:53 PM11/24/21
Andy Burnelli wrote:

> *Everything you need to know about Android's Project Mainline*
> <https://www.xda-developers.com/android-project-mainline-modules-explanation/>

Is that article authored by you with a different hat on?

Carlos E.R.

Nov 24, 2021, 9:12:06 PM11/24/21
Maybe they are not fully correct updates for that hardware, but similar.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Carlos E.R.

Nov 24, 2021, 9:12:06 PM11/24/21
On 25/11/2021 02.43, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 13:19:12 +0100, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>
>>> What happens for me when I click on the Google Play homescreen icon is that
>>> first screen comes up, which then allows me to press the update button
>>> (without having any login to Google whatsoever) as long as I'm on a network.
>>
>> First screen that comes up in my Google play is enter existing account
>> or create new one.
>>
>> https://susepaste.org/304194
>>
>> As you can see, no alternative on that screen.
>
> Hi Carlos,
>
> Thanks for letting me know that my Android 11 version of the "Play Store"
> app (com.android.vending) works differently than does your (apparently
> older) version of the "Play Store" app (also called com.android.vending).
>
> Yours: <https://susepaste.org/304194>
> Mine: <https://i.postimg.cc/3xxyCJYB/updateallapps04.jpg>
>
>> Of course it is different, it was a tablet designed to work on "1Mobile
>> Market" instead of the Google Play Store, not requiring registration.
>
> It has been my cursory experience that when a vendor changes the app, they
> often also appear to change the unique name, e.g., to something like
> com.android.vending.amazon or com.amazon.android.vending (or whatever).
>
> Since yours is still called "com.android.vending" it may be, logically, that
> it's the default app that came with your (older) version of Android.

Indeed it is; as I said on another post I had reset that old tablet to
factory defaults (when I "decommissioned" that tablet).

>> But the server it used is dead, and it was crap anyway when it was
>> alive. And it runs Adroid 4.4.2
>
> A picture is worth a thousand words, which clearly shows they're different.
> Yours: <https://susepaste.org/304194>
> Mine: <https://i.postimg.cc/02xKj04h/updateallapps03.jpg>
>
> As you imply, it seems apparent that your com.android.vending package is too
> old to have the selection choice that my com.android.vending has, in which
> case, then you'd be completely correct that the option to "update apps"
> might not exist inside your older version of the Google Play App (aka
> com.android.vending).
>
> I'm sorry I wasn't able to help you, I really am (as I strive to help you
> solve all the issues - just as I solve all of mine the say way on Usenet).
>
> I hope someone with a similar setup as yours can help you, as the only other
> option I could suggest is along the lines of what Andy Burns was leading...
> which is to use an external tool (such as adb) to update all the apps.

No need, thanks.

As I said, after I registered the tablet on a dummy gmail account
created for the purpose, I managed to install a nice clock application
which was the goal. The tablet is now serving as an accurate kitchen
clock. Not picture perfect, far from it, but works nicely.

However, the tablet forgets the wifi credentials when it reboots, and
being old its battery is far from good. We thought that the WiFi
credentials would be saved on the google account, but apparently that's
not the case. Perhaps some update cured this problem previously, but the
play store claims there are no updates for this old tablet, so I'm stuck.

If you are curious, the tablet identifies itself as "LETAB719"

<https://www.abueloinformatico.es/verproductos.php?id=3929&nombre=leotec_tablet_7%94_l-pad_quark__(letab719)&tipo=Tablet%20DC%207%20pulgadas>

Cheers, Carlos.

Andy Burnelli

Nov 24, 2021, 9:47:33 PM11/24/21
On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 21:59:22 +0100, Carlos E.R. wrote:

> Anyway, I bit the bullet and created a new google "burnable" account on
> this thing.

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for letting us know what you're trying as I tried running the various
update apps which each found hundreds of apps on Google Play repo to update.
<https://i.postimg.cc/kgBB3mq0/updateallapps05.jpg>

> The play store app now can not get the list of applications or new apps
> to install - I left it trying for four hours. It produced no error, but
> it simply does not work. And no updates whatsoever.

One thing I found out is that the Play Store App (com.android.vending) only
seems to look for _google_ apps, as shown in this screenshot below.
<https://i.postimg.cc/pLwVw50j/updateallapps07.jpg>

So it still doesn't seem to be looking for _all_ your apps to be updated.

> Also, in main setup, accounts, the google account shows in red, saying
> that there is a problem syncing which will be solved soon. Yeah, sure.

Along that line, the one reason I have the Google GMail app disabled is
that, in my experience, it syncs things (like contacts) even when you tell
it not to (since it syncs _before_ you get a chance to tell it not to).
<https://i.postimg.cc/RZT1dP8Z/notifications01.jpg>

Another problem I've found, by experience, as I recall, is the instant you
use some Google apps, they _create_ the Google Account on your phone
automatically (without you asking them to). I think you refer that as
"registering" the account with the phone.

If you're going to keep your Google Account, you might want to consider
disabling the Google Play app (which is what I normally have it set to).

> There is a notification that says that login to the account failed,
> wrong password or changed account (translating the message). That I can
> try again. I try again, give the correct password, now says I have to
> login on the web. Now it demands a phone number to send and SMS for
> verification. Ok, I bite again.

Sometimes, not often, but sometimes, you can give apps a bogus second line
phone number (e.g., talkatone or 2nd line, or whatever) for that
verification. Google is likely too smart for that trick though...

> I try twice, I type the code I get on the SMS, but Google refuses it,
> says it is wrong. If I press the "verify" button, the 3 last digits are
> deleted. If instead I press "go" on the virtual keyboard, it also fails.
> I will have to try on the computer.
>
> Not even on the computer.... The SMS has a code like "G-123456". The
> computer stops accepting numbers on the 5. It appears I have to remove
> the "G-", but it never said so. I got in, on the computer.
>
> It also demands to know my birth date, because that is the law, it claims.
>
> I try again on the tablet. I get one step further, browser asks to
> accept a new permission (unreadable), I say ok, and then it claims that
> authentication failed.
>
> This old tablet is simply too old for anything.

I've seen similar, now that you mention it, with the "G-" stuff.
The message they are asking is ambiguous as I recall.
They're actually asking you to confirm your email or something like that.
As I recall, it's not what any normal person would _think_ it's asking.
But I don't recall the details - but I do agree it's confusing as all hell.

Google should do better in their instructions, as I was fooled too.

> Ah, but now sync is working!
>
> I can now update "Google Play Services" (there is a notification to do
> so first). After that, I try the play store, but it claims there are no
> updates available, after checking.

You can test that by down-versioning a system app such as "google play
services" or any of the "google" apps that are similar to the ones which
show up in this shot when I ran the Google Play update action yesterday.
<https://i.postimg.cc/3xxyCJYB/updateallapps04.jpg>

In most cases, Android won't let you _delete_ the google app, but Android
will normally let you down-version it to the original version that came with
the device.

Then, after doing that, when you run the update check, Google Play's
"Update" button (I would think) "should" find that this one google app has
the original version, I would think (logically anyway).

> I try to install a weather/clock app I know, it now says I have to
> review my account. Wants a credit/debit card, but allows omitting. I
> install the app. [...] The widget fails to find the location. If I type
> the city it finds and accepts it, but the widget does not work. I'll try
> another app. [...] "Gran reloj digital" from "Riccardo Camattari", just
> the thing I wanted. No weather. Can't get everything :-)

You can install apps that are on the Google Play repository using the Google
Play app (as you know) as long as you have a Google Account "registered"
with the Google Play app (and hence, with the phone, AFAIK).

However, if you want, you can install any app you like off that same Google
Play repository using the Aurora Store, which works better than Google Play
does in that the filters are fantastic (Google Play filters stink).
<https://gitlab.com/AuroraOSS>

While you and I are outliers, I would think most people don't realize what I
found out, which is that Google Play's Update button doesn't seem to be
updating just any app - but only "Google" apps (as far as I can ascertain).

A test is shown with this app which updates hundreds of apps on Google Play
but it actually uses Google Play to run that update (which means the _check_
isn't via Google Play, but that the _download_ is, apparently, via Google
Play. <https://i.postimg.cc/fy8TpHFW/updateallapps06.jpg>

Andy Burnelli

Nov 25, 2021, 12:01:46 AM11/25/21
I'm all over XDA-Developers, and have been for years, but I do take that as
a compliment in terms of writing style & my attention to immense detail.

Bear in mind I've written thousands of white papers in a variety of Silicon
Valley startups, and of course I'm published in scientific journals, as I've
led a diversified life in some of the finest schools in this country prior
to moving to the Silicon Valley to work on high tech bleeding edge products.

I just haven't ever met people, in the flesh anyway, as ignorant as most
people who post to this newsgroup are (yet that unfathomable ignorance we
saw in the FOSS thread is far worse on the Apple smartphone newsgroups).

Anyway, back on topic, it's pretty clear Google Play (com.android.vending)
updates only a subset of apps, namely what it considers "google" apps.
C:\> adb shell pm list packages google | find /c /v ""

Which is what it actually says when you run the Google Play checker.
<https://i.postimg.cc/pLwVw50j/updateallapps07.jpg>

Meanwhile apps such as App Update Checker seem to find hundreds of updates.
<https://i.postimg.cc/kgBB3mq0/updateallapps05.jpg>

Yet apps such as Update Software Checker still use Google Play to update.
<https://i.postimg.cc/fy8TpHFW/updateallapps06.jpg>

The distinction being that these Google-free free ad-free gsf-free app
updaters clearly don't use Google Play to check whether an update is
available for any given app, but they will use any registered tool for
updating apps to run the actual update process, one of which is Google Play.

Andy Burnelli

Nov 25, 2021, 12:20:08 AM11/25/21
On Thu, 25 Nov 2021 03:08:46 +0100, Carlos E.R. wrote:

> As I said, after I registered the tablet on a dummy gmail account
> created for the purpose, I managed to install a nice clock application
> which was the goal. The tablet is now serving as an accurate kitchen
> clock. Not picture perfect, far from it, but works nicely.

I'm happy it worked for you.

I suspect it would also have worked just fine _without_ needing the dummy
Google Account, simply by you installing & using the Aurora Store to
accomplish the same task, but with privacy.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/app-4-4-aurora-store-open-source-play-store-client-april-8-2021.3739733/

> However, the tablet forgets the wifi credentials when it reboots, and
> being old its battery is far from good. We thought that the WiFi
> credentials would be saved on the google account, but apparently that's
> not the case. Perhaps some update cured this problem previously, but the
> play store claims there are no updates for this old tablet, so I'm stuck.

I agree with your observation, where I didn't see any evidence that a Google
Account was the reason for the loss of the wi-fi password (e.g., my device
retains the wi-fi access point password just fine sans a Google Account).

I won't delve deeper but what I'd first do, if it was me, is figure out
exactly where the GUI is that saves the Wi-Fi connection information (I
provided what I think that Activity URI is already) and I'd then manually
run that Activity to ensure the wi-fi setup information is saved.
com.android.settings/com.android.settings.Settings$WifiAddNetworkActivity

Without being rooted, below Android 9, I don't know if we could actually
delve into the database where that wi-fi information is saved
/data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf

But for Android versions of 10+, it's apparently quite easy to see.
https://www.google.com/search?q=wifi+password+not+saved+on+android

Carlos E.R.

Nov 25, 2021, 7:12:07 AM11/25/21
On 25/11/2021 03.47, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 21:59:22 +0100, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>
>> Anyway, I bit the bullet and created a new google "burnable" account on
>> this thing.
>
> Hi Carlos,
>
> Thanks for letting us know what you're trying as I tried running the various
> update apps which each found hundreds of apps on Google Play repo to update.
> <https://i.postimg.cc/kgBB3mq0/updateallapps05.jpg>
>
>> The play store app now can not get the list of applications or new apps
>> to install - I left it trying for four hours. It produced no error, but
>> it simply does not work. And no updates whatsoever.
>
> One thing I found out is that the Play Store App (com.android.vending) only
> seems to look for _google_ apps, as shown in this screenshot below.
> <https://i.postimg.cc/pLwVw50j/updateallapps07.jpg>
>
> So it still doesn't seem to be looking for _all_ your apps to be updated.

In the past, when I bought this tablet, the play store app did update
many things, including the play store app itself. Those updates have
been probably removed by Google, they don't support this old version
anymore.

In fact, initially, when I bought this tablet, I used the 1Mobile app to
do updates, not registering the tablet. I found that these updates had
important bugs, so I decided to try the play store app after login. The
result was conflict (not being able to read the calendar apointments,
for example), so I did a factory reset and started over using only the
play store app for updates. This worked fine. That was 2016 or so.

Today, play store app finds nothing. Only Google Services.

>> Also, in main setup, accounts, the google account shows in red, saying
>> that there is a problem syncing which will be solved soon. Yeah, sure.
>
> Along that line, the one reason I have the Google GMail app disabled is
> that, in my experience, it syncs things (like contacts) even when you tell
> it not to (since it syncs _before_ you get a chance to tell it not to).
> <https://i.postimg.cc/RZT1dP8Z/notifications01.jpg>
>
> Another problem I've found, by experience, as I recall, is the instant you
> use some Google apps, they _create_ the Google Account on your phone
> automatically (without you asking them to). I think you refer that as
> "registering" the account with the phone.

No. I call registering to the act of entering the login/password pair to
enter the google account, in the phone or tablet. From that instant all
Google Apps connect to the Google Account: gmail, gcalendar, sync data,
youtube, etc. All of it.

In this case, I created a new account.

The phone can not register unless you enter the login/password pair, it
can not create a Google Account, it doesn't have an identifier for it.
Apps that depended, that needed this registration were failing.

> If you're going to keep your Google Account, you might want to consider
> disabling the Google Play app (which is what I normally have it set to).

No need. It is a dummy account.

>> There is a notification that says that login to the account failed,
>> wrong password or changed account (translating the message). That I can
>> try again. I try again, give the correct password, now says I have to
>> login on the web. Now it demands a phone number to send and SMS for
>> verification. Ok, I bite again.
>
> Sometimes, not often, but sometimes, you can give apps a bogus second line
> phone number (e.g., talkatone or 2nd line, or whatever) for that
> verification. Google is likely too smart for that trick though...

No, because it sends an SMS with a code to type. Mind, it does not
remember this number, it doesn't get tied to the account.
Ah, Google is not that logical, and it could also refuse to update the
app, which would force me to reset to factory to recover the app. Too
much work, considering that my goal is complete. Well, except it does
not remember the WiFi password.

>> I try to install a weather/clock app I know, it now says I have to
>> review my account. Wants a credit/debit card, but allows omitting. I
>> install the app. [...] The widget fails to find the location. If I type
>> the city it finds and accepts it, but the widget does not work. I'll try
>> another app. [...] "Gran reloj digital" from "Riccardo Camattari", just
>> the thing I wanted. No weather. Can't get everything :-)
>
> You can install apps that are on the Google Play repository using the Google
> Play app (as you know) as long as you have a Google Account "registered"
> with the Google Play app (and hence, with the phone, AFAIK).

Yes, that's what I'm doing.

> However, if you want, you can install any app you like off that same Google
> Play repository using the Aurora Store, which works better than Google Play
> does in that the filters are fantastic (Google Play filters stink).
> <https://gitlab.com/AuroraOSS>

No need, I only wanted a clock, and that one I found on google play is
perfect. Full screen, very configurable, no adverts (the description
says there are adverts, but only during configuration. Not an issue).

> While you and I are outliers, I would think most people don't realize what I
> found out, which is that Google Play's Update button doesn't seem to be
> updating just any app - but only "Google" apps (as far as I can ascertain).
>
> A test is shown with this app which updates hundreds of apps on Google Play
> but it actually uses Google Play to run that update (which means the _check_
> isn't via Google Play, but that the _download_ is, apparently, via Google
> Play. <https://i.postimg.cc/fy8TpHFW/updateallapps06.jpg>

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Carlos E.R.

Nov 25, 2021, 7:24:07 AM11/25/21
On 25/11/2021 06.20, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Nov 2021 03:08:46 +0100, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>
>> As I said, after I registered the tablet on a dummy gmail account
>> created for the purpose, I managed to install a nice clock application
>> which was the goal. The tablet is now serving as an accurate kitchen
>> clock. Not picture perfect, far from it, but works nicely.
>
> I'm happy it worked for you.
>
> I suspect it would also have worked just fine _without_ needing the dummy
> Google Account, simply by you installing & using the Aurora Store to
> accomplish the same task, but with privacy.
> https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/app-4-4-aurora-store-open-source-play-store-client-april-8-2021.3739733/

The assumption was that the WiFi password was stored on the google
account (local) data, which needed an account. It is not so.

>> However, the tablet forgets the wifi credentials when it reboots, and
>> being old its battery is far from good. We thought that the WiFi
>> credentials would be saved on the google account, but apparently that's
>> not the case. Perhaps some update cured this problem previously, but the
>> play store claims there are no updates for this old tablet, so I'm stuck.
>
> I agree with your observation, where I didn't see any evidence that a Google
> Account was the reason for the loss of the wi-fi password (e.g., my device
> retains the wi-fi access point password just fine sans a Google Account).
Right, thus it is a bug in the tablet.

> I won't delve deeper but what I'd first do, if it was me, is figure out
> exactly where the GUI is that saves the Wi-Fi connection information (I
> provided what I think that Activity URI is already) and I'd then manually
> run that Activity to ensure the wi-fi setup information is saved.
> com.android.settings/com.android.settings.Settings$WifiAddNetworkActivity
>
> Without being rooted, below Android 9, I don't know if we could actually
> delve into the database where that wi-fi information is saved
> /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf
>
> But for Android versions of 10+, it's apparently quite easy to see.
> https://www.google.com/search?q=wifi+password+not+saved+on+android

Where it saves the password (or not) is irrelevant. It just doesn't
remember the password after boot. The guess now is that there is a bug,
which maybe an update would solve (or not). Installing another app to
find updates is a possibility which I hesitate to take. Maybe another day.

Or, I can simply save the guest wifi password in a text file for
pasting, and move on.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Andy Burnelli

Nov 25, 2021, 11:10:29 AM11/25/21
On Thu, 25 Nov 2021 13:11:41 +0100, Carlos E.R. wrote:

> Today, play store app finds nothing. Only Google Services.

If you can sideload with that tablet, I, for one, would be very interested
if the FOSS Aurora Store solves all your app-installation issues instantly.
<https://files.auroraoss.com/AuroraStore/Stable/>

Not only does the Aurora Store download from the same repository as does
Google Play (AFAIK), and not only does the Aurora Store provide the filters
anyone would want (they're fantastic), but the Aurora Store can also spoof
any Android tablet you want it to spoof (make, model, and software version).

In addition, the Aurora Store can autoupdate, which is also better than GP.
<https://i.postimg.cc/ZR25xq5Q/aurora03.jpg>

Personally, I can't find _any_ downside to the Aurora Store. Can you?

As you must be aware, my phone has no Google Account and it downloads and
installs any app I want to get from the Google Play repository, even as the
Google Play app itself, is always disabled (I only enabled it to help you).
<https://i.postimg.cc/BZMzpG4C/updateallapps08.jpg>

>> Another problem I've found, by experience, as I recall, is the instant you
>> use some Google apps, they _create_ the Google Account on your phone
>> automatically (without you asking them to). I think you refer that as
>> "registering" the account with the phone.
>
> No. I call registering to the act of entering the login/password pair to
> enter the google account, in the phone or tablet. From that instant all
> Google Apps connect to the Google Account: gmail, gcalendar, sync data,
> youtube, etc. All of it.

Thank you for clarifying what you meant by "registering" the phone with
Google.

This is what you're doing, if I understand you correctly.
1. You create the Google Account on the phone
2. Then, when you use certain Google apps (like GMail or the Play Store or
Google Voice), you're already automatically logged into that app (simply by
virtue of being logged into the Google Account you created for the phone).

What I'm saying is if the Google Account already exists, but it has never
been used on the phone, a similar thing still happens, but in a single step.
1. You log into certain Google apps (see above list) and what they do,
sneakily so, is they _create_ a Google Account on the phone for you!

At least that has been my experience.
Nonetheless, I fully believe what you clarified is happening is happening,
which I appreciate that you clarified as text is a horrible two-way medium.

> In this case, I created a new account.

Yes. See above.
If you already had that account, Google would _create_ it on the phone for
you the _instant_ you log into certain apps (see list above).

This is exactly why I _disable_ the GMail app by the way, as not only will
Google automatically _create an account_ on the phone for you the instant
you log into your Google Mail using the GMail app, but in my tests long ago,
Google's GMail app automatically sucked up your contacts _before_ you have a
chance to tell it not to.

The instant an app does that, I get rid of it, which is why I disable GMail.
<https://i.postimg.cc/RZT1dP8Z/notifications01.jpg>

I use K9 Mail or some other MUA instead to access my Google Account email.

> The phone can not register unless you enter the login/password pair, it
> can not create a Google Account, it doesn't have an identifier for it.
> Apps that depended, that needed this registration were failing.

In my experience, even when the phone does not have any Google Account

the _instant_ I "log into google" using the "GMail" app, it sneakily
_creates_ the Google Account

>> If you're going to keep your Google Account, you might want to consider
>> disabling the Google Play app (which is what I normally have it set to).
>
> No need. It is a dummy account.

Um... ok.
When I create a throwaway email account, I use TOR or VPN to create it.
Then, when I access it, I still use TOR or VPN (which Google hates).

>> Then, after doing that, when you run the update check, Google Play's
>> "Update" button (I would think) "should" find that this one google app has
>> the original version, I would think (logically anyway).
>
> Ah, Google is not that logical, and it could also refuse to update the
> app, which would force me to reset to factory to recover the app. Too
> much work, considering that my goal is complete. Well, except it does
> not remember the WiFi password.

The Aurora Store appears to update any app, since you can spoof your device.
<https://i.postimg.cc/ZR25xq5Q/aurora03.jpg>

Remember, the Aurora Store _is_ Google Play.
It's just a client on the same repo (AFAIK).

It's no different from using Firefox instead of Chrome to access your mail.

>> You can install apps that are on the Google Play repository using the Google
>> Play app (as you know) as long as you have a Google Account "registered"
>> with the Google Play app (and hence, with the phone, AFAIK).
>
> Yes, that's what I'm doing.

Yes. What you're doing (creating a Google Account) is working for you.
I would have suggested you do the same thing _without_ creating the account.
<https://i.postimg.cc/NjkLvYdy/aurora01.jpg>

>> However, if you want, you can install any app you like off that same Google
>> Play repository using the Aurora Store, which works better than Google Play
>> does in that the filters are fantastic (Google Play filters stink).
>> <https://gitlab.com/AuroraOSS>
>
> No need, I only wanted a clock, and that one I found on google play is
> perfect. Full screen, very configurable, no adverts (the description
> says there are adverts, but only during configuration. Not an issue).

Note the filters in the Aurora Store work fantastically to block that crap.
<https://i.postimg.cc/W3h4ZZTr/aurora02.jpg>

I should start a thread on why people are resistant to using the Aurora
Store when I can't think of a single downside to using it myself. Sigh.

Andy Burnelli

Nov 25, 2021, 11:10:30 AM11/25/21
On Thu, 25 Nov 2021 03:10:52 +0100, Carlos E.R. wrote:

>> The question nobody yet knows the answer to is why isn't Google Play finding
>> _all_ the apps which clearly have updates on the Google Play repository?
>
> Maybe they are not fully correct updates for that hardware, but similar.

While I don't know the complete list of "packages" that Google Play
(com.android.vending) will update, it appears likely Google Play uses Google
Play Services (com.google.android.gms) to run its updates.
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.gms>

Which says in the first line of the description:
"Google Play services is used to update Google apps and apps from Google
Play."

There are also similar words that Google Play (com.android.vending) only
updates (what it considers to be) _Google_ apps when you run the update GUI.
<https://i.postimg.cc/pLwVw50j/updateallapps07.jpg>

However, they seem to be taking "Google apps" pretty far in that it finds
Samsung apps and T-Mobile apps when com.android.vending runs on my system.
<https://i.postimg.cc/3xxyCJYB/updateallapps04.jpg>

And yet, Google Play update does NOT find _hundreds_ of apps that clearly
have a newer version in the Google Play store, which other apps easily find.
<https://i.postimg.cc/kgBB3mq0/updateallapps05.jpg>

One problem I have is almost all my user apps were installed from Google
Play using the Aurora Store, but unfortunately, the Aurora Store isn't an
option in any general app update checker that I tested for you yesterday.
<https://i.postimg.cc/fy8TpHFW/updateallapps06.jpg>

What I need to figure out is _how_ to get the Aurora Store instead of Google
Play to be in the list of apps that these update apps will choose to use.
--
Every time we help someone with a question, we learn a ton ourselves.

Andy Burnelli

Nov 25, 2021, 11:10:32 AM11/25/21
On Thu, 25 Nov 2021 13:20:11 +0100, Carlos E.R. wrote:

> The assumption was that the WiFi password was stored on the google
> account (local) data, which needed an account. It is not so.

While Google "steals" a lot of our private data, I can't think of any "good"
reason why Google would take our Wi-Fi passphrases; but, for all I know,
they could be doing that secretly under the covers like they take our
valuable personal contacts almost every chance they get.

>>> However, the tablet forgets the wifi credentials when it reboots, and
>>> being old its battery is far from good. We thought that the WiFi
>>> credentials would be saved on the google account, but apparently that's
>>> not the case. Perhaps some update cured this problem previously, but the
>>> play store claims there are no updates for this old tablet, so I'm stuck.
>>
>> I agree with your observation, where I didn't see any evidence that a Google
>> Account was the reason for the loss of the wi-fi password (e.g., my device
>> retains the wi-fi access point password just fine sans a Google Account).
>
> Right, thus it is a bug in the tablet.

What I expect from you is the same as what I expect from anyone else.
a) Knowledge
b) Intelligence

You need both to debug.

I own cars many years old and counting (some of which are German, so they
break a _lot_), and each time I search for a solution, I'm horrified at how
many cars are fixed simply by people throwing parts at them.

Very few people own the necessary knowledge and intelligence to debug
issues. If the cooling system isn't working, they replace the thermostat; if
the brakes are shuddering, they replace the rotors; if the engine is
sputtering they pour seafoam to "repair" it, etc.

It's extremely common for an Android device to forget the password.
<https://duckduckgo.com/?q=android+wifi+keeps+forgetting+password>

I'd run down all those potential solutions before I claim it's a Google bug.

Frank Slootweg

Nov 25, 2021, 3:13:15 PM11/25/21
You're joking, right!?

Carlos E.R.

Nov 25, 2021, 5:04:07 PM11/25/21
On 25/11/2021 17.10, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Nov 2021 13:20:11 +0100, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>
>> The assumption was that the WiFi password was stored on the google
>> account (local) data, which needed an account. It is not so.
>
> While Google "steals" a lot of our private data, I can't think of any "good"
> reason why Google would take our Wi-Fi passphrases; but, for all I know,
> they could be doing that secretly under the covers like they take our
> valuable personal contacts almost every chance they get.

It is quite common for tablets and phones to protect the wifi password
under the google password "somehow". As application data of the wifi
application, for instance.

I don't object to this.

>>> I agree with your observation, where I didn't see any evidence that a Google
>>> Account was the reason for the loss of the wi-fi password (e.g., my device
>>> retains the wi-fi access point password just fine sans a Google Account).
>>
>> Right, thus it is a bug in the tablet.
>
> What I expect from you is the same as what I expect from anyone else.
> a) Knowledge
> b) Intelligence
>
> You need both to debug.
>
> I own cars many years old and counting (some of which are German, so they
> break a _lot_), and each time I search for a solution, I'm horrified at how
> many cars are fixed simply by people throwing parts at them.
>
> Very few people own the necessary knowledge and intelligence to debug
> issues. If the cooling system isn't working, they replace the thermostat; if
> the brakes are shuddering, they replace the rotors; if the engine is
> sputtering they pour seafoam to "repair" it, etc.
>
> It's extremely common for an Android device to forget the password.
> <https://duckduckgo.com/?q=android+wifi+keeps+forgetting+password>
>
> I'd run down all those potential solutions before I claim it's a Google bug.

I did not say "google bug", just bug. Very likely, crap tablet
manufacturer bug.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Carlos E.R.

Nov 25, 2021, 5:16:07 PM11/25/21
On 25/11/2021 17.10, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Nov 2021 13:11:41 +0100, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>
>> Today, play store app finds nothing. Only Google Services.
>
> If you can sideload with that tablet, I, for one, would be very interested
> if the FOSS Aurora Store solves all your app-installation issues instantly.
> <https://files.auroraoss.com/AuroraStore/Stable/>
>
> Not only does the Aurora Store download from the same repository as does
> Google Play (AFAIK), and not only does the Aurora Store provide the filters
> anyone would want (they're fantastic), but the Aurora Store can also spoof
> any Android tablet you want it to spoof (make, model, and software version).
>
> In addition, the Aurora Store can autoupdate, which is also better than GP.
> <https://i.postimg.cc/ZR25xq5Q/aurora03.jpg>
>
> Personally, I can't find _any_ downside to the Aurora Store. Can you?

I can't be fully sure that it offers the exact updates this tablet
needs. I could offer the wrong variant.

> As you must be aware, my phone has no Google Account and it downloads and
> installs any app I want to get from the Google Play repository, even as the
> Google Play app itself, is always disabled (I only enabled it to help you).
> <https://i.postimg.cc/BZMzpG4C/updateallapps08.jpg>
>
>>> Another problem I've found, by experience, as I recall, is the instant you
>>> use some Google apps, they _create_ the Google Account on your phone
>>> automatically (without you asking them to). I think you refer that as
>>> "registering" the account with the phone.
>>
>> No. I call registering to the act of entering the login/password pair to
>> enter the google account, in the phone or tablet. From that instant all
>> Google Apps connect to the Google Account: gmail, gcalendar, sync data,
>> youtube, etc. All of it.
>
> Thank you for clarifying what you meant by "registering" the phone with
> Google.
>
> This is what you're doing, if I understand you correctly.
> 1. You create the Google Account on the phone

Tablet, actually.
Then I had to activate the account on a web browser.
It is a new account, and has no contact information to share.

> 2. Then, when you use certain Google apps (like GMail or the Play Store or
> Google Voice), you're already automatically logged into that app (simply by
> virtue of being logged into the Google Account you created for the phone).

Certainly.

> What I'm saying is if the Google Account already exists, but it has never
> been used on the phone, a similar thing still happens, but in a single step.
> 1. You log into certain Google apps (see above list) and what they do,
> sneakily so, is they _create_ a Google Account on the phone for you!

Of course.

That's a non issue for me.

> At least that has been my experience.
> Nonetheless, I fully believe what you clarified is happening is happening,
> which I appreciate that you clarified as text is a horrible two-way medium.
>
>> In this case, I created a new account.
>
> Yes. See above.
> If you already had that account, Google would _create_ it on the phone for
> you the _instant_ you log into certain apps (see list above).
>
> This is exactly why I _disable_ the GMail app by the way, as not only will
> Google automatically _create an account_ on the phone for you the instant
> you log into your Google Mail using the GMail app, but in my tests long ago,
> Google's GMail app automatically sucked up your contacts _before_ you have a
> chance to tell it not to.

There are no contacts to suck. Empty tablet. Not an issue.

> The instant an app does that, I get rid of it, which is why I disable GMail.
> <https://i.postimg.cc/RZT1dP8Z/notifications01.jpg>
>
> I use K9 Mail or some other MUA instead to access my Google Account email.
>
>> The phone can not register unless you enter the login/password pair, it
>> can not create a Google Account, it doesn't have an identifier for it.
>> Apps that depended, that needed this registration were failing.
>
> In my experience, even when the phone does not have any Google Account
>
> the _instant_ I "log into google" using the "GMail" app, it sneakily
> _creates_ the Google Account

Of course it does. I expect that to happen. Not an issue.

>>> If you're going to keep your Google Account, you might want to consider
>>> disabling the Google Play app (which is what I normally have it set to).
>>
>> No need. It is a dummy account.
>
> Um... ok.
> When I create a throwaway email account, I use TOR or VPN to create it.
> Then, when I access it, I still use TOR or VPN (which Google hates).

Not an issue either :-D

I don't care they know where I am. And using such a thing in this old
tablet is a complication I do not need nor want, even if it supports it.

If I cared about privacy that much, I would simply never use Android.

I'm not going to throw away that account, I simply will not "use" it. It
is gratis.

>>> Then, after doing that, when you run the update check, Google Play's
>>> "Update" button (I would think) "should" find that this one google app has
>>> the original version, I would think (logically anyway).
>>
>> Ah, Google is not that logical, and it could also refuse to update the
>> app, which would force me to reset to factory to recover the app. Too
>> much work, considering that my goal is complete. Well, except it does
>> not remember the WiFi password.
>
> The Aurora Store appears to update any app, since you can spoof your device.
> <https://i.postimg.cc/ZR25xq5Q/aurora03.jpg>
>
> Remember, the Aurora Store _is_ Google Play.
> It's just a client on the same repo (AFAIK).
>
> It's no different from using Firefox instead of Chrome to access your mail.
>
>>> You can install apps that are on the Google Play repository using the Google
>>> Play app (as you know) as long as you have a Google Account "registered"
>>> with the Google Play app (and hence, with the phone, AFAIK).
>>
>> Yes, that's what I'm doing.
>
> Yes. What you're doing (creating a Google Account) is working for you.
> I would have suggested you do the same thing _without_ creating the account.
> <https://i.postimg.cc/NjkLvYdy/aurora01.jpg>

Seemed easier.

>>> However, if you want, you can install any app you like off that same Google
>>> Play repository using the Aurora Store, which works better than Google Play
>>> does in that the filters are fantastic (Google Play filters stink).
>>> <https://gitlab.com/AuroraOSS>
>>
>> No need, I only wanted a clock, and that one I found on google play is
>> perfect. Full screen, very configurable, no adverts (the description
>> says there are adverts, but only during configuration. Not an issue).
>
> Note the filters in the Aurora Store work fantastically to block that crap.
> <https://i.postimg.cc/W3h4ZZTr/aurora02.jpg>

I really do not care if the application shows some adverts during
configuration, it is not an issue at all. I'm glad the developer gets
some revenue from those adverts.

Now, nosy adverts that eat battery or dig bitcoins, or hide the screen,
or get in the way, those I care.

> I should start a thread on why people are resistant to using the Aurora
> Store when I can't think of a single downside to using it myself. Sigh.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Andy Burnelli

Nov 25, 2021, 10:16:21 PM11/25/21
On Thu, 25 Nov 2021 23:13:44 +0100, Carlos E.R. wrote:

>> Personally, I can't find _any_ downside to the Aurora Store. Can you?
>
> I can't be fully sure that it offers the exact updates this tablet
> needs. I could offer the wrong variant.

As far as I can tell, the Aurora Store google-play client is no different
when going to the google server than using Firefix instead of using Chrome
would be when going to any given web server.

Just as using K9-mail as your client gets you the same email messages when
going to the google imap server as using the GMail client would get.

The client isn't going to give you what isn't already there on the server.

>> This is what you're doing, if I understand you correctly.
>> 1. You create the Google Account on the phone
>
> Tablet, actually.
> Then I had to activate the account on a web browser.
> It is a new account, and has no contact information to share.

Yes. I've done the same thing when creating Google accounts.
I agree with you that the "G-" message is confusing.
I've asked Google to fix it, and I hope you did also.
In my experience, it wasn't asking what I had _thought_ it was asking.
It's confusing.
Worse, it won't work until you give it what it wants.
I don't remember the details though - just that it happened to me too.

> There are no contacts to suck. Empty tablet. Not an issue.

Good. I have to delete my contacts sqlite database, which is a PITA since
then I have to find only the best contact managers and phone dialers and
sms/text apps which can import (and export) their own contact databases.

>> the _instant_ I "log into google" using the "GMail" app, it sneakily
>> _creates_ the Google Account
>
> Of course it does. I expect that to happen. Not an issue.

Well, no other MUA does that, so why should the Google MUA do that?
Likewise that no other nav app sets the sneaky settings to upload all your
neighbors' wifi BSSIDs to Google - only Google Maps does that.

In that manner, it's sneaky as they don't tell you what they're doing.
I know because I have all that stuff set off.

But most people don't know that when Google turns on "location", it turns on
a whole plethora of sneaky stuff that the other nav programs don't turn on.

> If I cared about privacy that much, I would simply never use Android.

Realistically you have a choice of iOS (which isn't even close to private),
or Android, where at least with Android you can make it private if you're
intelligent about it.

With iOS, it's so crippled, you have to give away your privacy. But let's
leave that for the iOS newsgroup to discuss, but rest assured, I know what
I'm talking about (e.g., you can spoof your location on Android but not on
iOS as just one of very many examples of why privacy on iOS only exists in
the advertisements).

With iOS you have no privacy, even if you're intelligent.
With Android, you only have no privacy if you're ignorant.

> I'm not going to throw away that account, I simply will not "use" it. It
> is gratis.

I have so many email accounts I can't chastise you for keeping one.

> I really do not care if the application shows some adverts during
> configuration, it is not an issue at all. I'm glad the developer gets
> some revenue from those adverts.
>
> Now, nosy adverts that eat battery or dig bitcoins, or hide the screen,
> or get in the way, those I care.

I don't think I've ever seen an advertisement on Android except when I was
testing software, and the moment I see an ad, that app is toast.

I opened up a separate thread asking whether there are any disadvantages to
using the FOSS google play client instead of the proprietary one.
*Are there any downsides to supplementing the Google Play client(
*with the Aurora Store client?*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/zGYFITEjemc>

If any exist, I don't know of them.

Andy Burnelli

Nov 25, 2021, 10:20:37 PM11/25/21
On 25 Nov 2021 20:13:13 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:

> You're joking, right!?

Frank,
Please stop polluting this newsgroup with your off-topic trolls.
This is something like the tenth off topic troll you've done in a row.
If you have nothing of value to add to the topic, why must you prove it?

Andy Burns

Nov 26, 2021, 3:15:41 AM11/26/21
Yes I was, but I was trying to show a potential issue with not knowing who on
XDA might be another Arlen nym.

Carlos E.R.

Nov 26, 2021, 5:12:07 AM11/26/21
On 26/11/2021 04.16, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Nov 2021 23:13:44 +0100, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>
>>> Personally, I can't find _any_ downside to the Aurora Store. Can you?
>>
>> I can't be fully sure that it offers the exact updates this tablet
>> needs. I could offer the wrong variant.
>
> As far as I can tell, the Aurora Store google-play client is no different
> when going to the google server than using Firefix instead of using Chrome
> would be when going to any given web server.
>
> Just as using K9-mail as your client gets you the same email messages when
> going to the google imap server as using the GMail client would get.
>
> The client isn't going to give you what isn't already there on the server.

But the server can have many variation versions intended for different
implementations. If that is the case, I trust google play to knows this.

>>> This is what you're doing, if I understand you correctly.
>>> 1. You create the Google Account on the phone
>>
>> Tablet, actually.
>> Then I had to activate the account on a web browser.
>> It is a new account, and has no contact information to share.
>
> Yes. I've done the same thing when creating Google accounts.
> I agree with you that the "G-" message is confusing.
> I've asked Google to fix it, and I hope you did also.

Nope.

At the time, I did not see an item for feedback.

> In my experience, it wasn't asking what I had _thought_ it was asking.
> It's confusing.
> Worse, it won't work until you give it what it wants.
> I don't remember the details though - just that it happened to me too.
>
>> There are no contacts to suck. Empty tablet. Not an issue.
>
> Good. I have to delete my contacts sqlite database, which is a PITA since
> then I have to find only the best contact managers and phone dialers and
> sms/text apps which can import (and export) their own contact databases.
>
>>> the _instant_ I "log into google" using the "GMail" app, it sneakily
>>> _creates_ the Google Account
>>
>> Of course it does. I expect that to happen. Not an issue.
>
> Well, no other MUA does that, so why should the Google MUA do that?
> Likewise that no other nav app sets the sneaky settings to upload all your
> neighbors' wifi BSSIDs to Google - only Google Maps does that.

Because it is Google, it is a suite. It is intended that way. Enter the
account just once, all the tools will work and use it, transparently.
Design method. Like it or not, use it or not.

As I said, I expected that. Not surprised at all.

> In that manner, it's sneaky as they don't tell you what they're doing.
> I know because I have all that stuff set off.
>
> But most people don't know that when Google turns on "location", it turns on
> a whole plethora of sneaky stuff that the other nav programs don't turn on.
>
>> If I cared about privacy that much, I would simply never use Android.
>
> Realistically you have a choice of iOS (which isn't even close to private),
> or Android, where at least with Android you can make it private if you're
> intelligent about it.

Nay, I would buy a Linux tablet to do clock duty. Or buy an arduino or
similar, attach a display, and do it. This is faster.

Cheers, Carlos.

Andy Burnelli

Nov 26, 2021, 12:33:46 PM11/26/21
On Fri, 26 Nov 2021 08:15:37 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

> Yes I was, but I was trying to show a potential issue with not knowing who on
> XDA might be another Arlen nym.

Notice Frank Slootweg hasn't contributed a single iota of value to this
newsgroup in his last dozen (or even three dozen) posts, Andy.

Then compare Frank Slootweg's incessant off topic trolling to the value I
added in just a single thread (e.g., the FOSS thread), Andy.

I add tremendous value because I'm a good person, Andy.
Frank Slootweg is incapable of adding any on topic value, because he's not.

Clearly Frank Slootweg, based on what he posts, is a worthless piece of shit
completely devoid of the capability (or desire) to ever add value.

To answer your question even further, bear in mind I have so many thread on
XDA-Developers it's not funny, under a variety of privacy based nyms
(because my goal is to add value - not to become famous on the Internet).

Notice I'm quite unlike the worthless pieces of shit who infested the FOSS
thread, Andy. I'm purposefully helpful for one thing because I care about
good people.

I'm knowledgeable for another. And more importantly, I'm intelligent.
Almost all the worthless pieces of shit who polluted the FOSS thread aren't.

For example, who do you think authored these tutorials on XDA, Andy?
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/google-gcam-port-for-the-samsung-galaxy-a32-5g.4275449/
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/google-recorder-port-for-the-samsung-galaxy-a32-5g.4275695/
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/how-to-duplicate-what-adb-does-to-ad-hoc-open-any-given-activity-on-the-android-phone.4337863/#post-85696813
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/how-to-manually-create-a-homescreen-shortcut-to-a-known-unique-android-activity.4336833/
etc.

Notice just one thread in XDA of mine is more value added than Frank
Slootweg has ever added to this newsgroup in the history of this ng.

It's always that way with these worthless pieces of shit like Frank
Slootweg. All they can do is deprecate the activities of others.

It's doubtful Frank Slootweg even has a high school diploma, and yet he has
the gall to troll the shit out of this newsgroup, without ever being able to
add even a single iota of added value.

Andy Burnelli

Nov 26, 2021, 12:33:47 PM11/26/21
On Fri, 26 Nov 2021 11:08:21 +0100, Carlos E.R. wrote:

>> The client isn't going to give you what isn't already there on the server.
>
> But the server can have many variation versions intended for different
> implementations. If that is the case, I trust google play to knows this.

While I don't claim to be an expert in the FOSS Aurora Store code, if _that_
is what you're worried about, you may as well crawl into a cave right now
(because far worse worries of far greater chance of happening exist).

For example, an asteroid could destroy the earth tomorrow also, if you want
to worry about things so badly, I'd worry more about that instead.

It's not usually the Android owners who are afraid of their own shadow.
(It's usually the iPhone owners whom Apple feeds with irrational fears.)

>> Well, no other MUA does that, so why should the Google MUA do that?
>> Likewise that no other nav app sets the sneaky settings to upload all your
>> neighbors' wifi BSSIDs to Google - only Google Maps does that.
>
> Because it is Google, it is a suite. It is intended that way. Enter the
> account just once, all the tools will work and use it, transparently.
> Design method. Like it or not, use it or not.
>
> As I said, I expected that. Not surprised at all.

I don't think you realize, based on what you said, that your expectations
are wrong. It's not all the Google apps in the Google suite that do this.

I don't think you realize that.
No big deal. Probably most people are ignorant of what Google apps do.

I happen to know because I don't have a Google Account on the phone so when
certain Google apps create it (and certain ones do not), I notice it.

Your ignorance Carlos, can be cured.
It's sheer stupidity (like that of Joerg or Alan) that can't be cured.

>>> If I cared about privacy that much, I would simply never use Android.
>>
>> Realistically you have a choice of iOS (which isn't even close to private),
>> or Android, where at least with Android you can make it private if you're
>> intelligent about it.
>
> Nay, I would buy a Linux tablet to do clock duty. Or buy an arduino or
> similar, attach a display, and do it. This is faster.

If all you want is a clock, that's one thing.

But if you want a functional tablet, I'd suggest you might be able to do
that with the Aurora Store because it will let you spoof the SDK version.

Using the Aurora Store judiciously, I suspect you can find the basic tools
for that tablet to make it useable (web browser, youtube client, google play
client, MUA, etc.).

Andy Burnelli

Nov 26, 2021, 6:49:31 PM11/26/21
BTW, it appears the FOSS Google Play clients do update _all_ apps, not just
"google apps", but all apps that are found on the Google repo.
<https://i.postimg.cc/ZR25xq5Q/aurora03.jpg>

Notice the switch FOSS Google Play client has switches to "Enable auto
updates" which will "Update apps whenever a new version is available" and
the switch "Extended updatres" which will "Enable to check updates for
disabled apps" and "Check updates which will "Check for latest available
updates of Aurora Store" and "Update interval" which, for mine, is set to
"Manual", etc.

Andy Burnelli

Jan 29, 2022, 12:24:06 PM1/29/22
For the permanent record, this is an update to a thread philo asked today:
*Google Translate update (how to prevent Google Play from updating it)*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/-8QwbUsgjOA>

Hi philo,

I'm happy you asked the question, as Usenet is a team sport where each of us
learns from each other, even as we play a different position on each thread.

I thank you for confirming the solution, which is to turn off the automatic
updates inside of the Google Play app (which scrapes the Google repository).

See more answers to similar questions of how Google Play Store updates apps.
*How does Google Play know how to update all your installed apps*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/48Qs2nHV5Io/m/4MpGcX0ABQAJ>

There's yet _another_ way, which is a "special teams" method, that I use.
a. I don't have a Google Account on my phone
b. Therefore, "most" of Google Play won't work
c. But, interestingly, the _update_ mechanism of Google Play does work
d. Nonetheless, I have the Google Play app disabled anyway
e. Even better, I scrape Google's repo using the Aurora Google Play client
f. That provides _everything_ God intended to be in an app store client
*Aurora Open Source Software* <https://auroraoss.com/>

Not only does that FOSS google play store client _not delete_ the APK after
downloading and installing it, but it can save APKs directly to the sdcard.
*Are there any downsides to supplementing Google Play client with Aurora Store?*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/zGYFITEjemc/m/J4eFd12UBgAJ>

More to the point of updates, not only will that FOSS google play store
client give you the choice of updates, but it even has a choice whether or
not to update the _disabled_ apps on your phone.
<https://i.postimg.cc/CL9GpzVc/aurora01.jpg> FOSS Google Play Store client
<https://i.postimg.cc/Lspjhw5f/aurora02.jpg> Filters Google won't allow
<https://i.postimg.cc/PrvDyT8Y/aurora03.jpg> *Automatic & extended updates*
<https://i.postimg.cc/Z5kdD2rg/aurora04.jpg> Choose where to download APKs
<https://i.postimg.cc/RF06HBB3/aurora05.jpg> Filters Google won't give you
<https://i.postimg.cc/FRnfbBrT/aurora06.jpg> Google Play Store still works
<https://i.postimg.cc/0jMzV0rP/aurora07.jpg> Keep logs of when last updated
<https://i.postimg.cc/7PdGfdQ6/aurora08.jpg> Search filters are persistent
<https://i.postimg.cc/8zBjX5kJ/aurora09.jpg> Save all APKs you've intalled
<https://i.postimg.cc/NG5pHyBx/aurora10.jpg> No need for a Google Account
<https://i.postimg.cc/28WG0Pqb/aurora11.jpg> Works alongside Google Play
<https://i.postimg.cc/D0Qz7fZy/aurora12.jpg> Saves all APKs after install
<https://i.postimg.cc/pLhBm3vX/aurora13.jpg> All sorts of excellent filters
<https://i.postimg.cc/W1BwgSpm/aurora14.jpg> Search by ratings or downloads
<https://i.postimg.cc/G2QP0CFz/aurora15.jpg> Its a well-supported FOSS app

In summary, given Usenet is a team sport, we all help each other every day.
a. You asked a question (and you responded to all helpful responses)
b. You found the answer you needed (and you acknowledged the sender)
c. I'm simply providing _additional_ solutions (for special situations)
--
Why? Because I have a kind heart, and plenty of added value to provide.